My 2017 can be summarized into one word – PROGRESS- all the situations that I have experienced which brought be joy or sadness have all stretched and grown me to becoming a better version of myself.
In the book by Oprah, What I Know for Sure (find my thoughts on it HERE) I picked up a habit that I intend to carry on forever. At the end of every day, I try and jot down at least 5 things that I am glad happened to me or to others.
This is the source of inspiration for my last blog in 2017.
27 things I am glad happened to me this year…please indulge me and share your moments for us to celebrate together.
- I am glad that I have medical insurance cover. I have been in and out of hospital for the past six months for both big and small reasons. This has made me remember to thank God every day for good health. There is someone somewhere having it worse.
- In spite of the challenge of walking around and not being able to do what I want. I am glad that my leg injury has made me appreciate the importance of small things we take for granted. Like being able to take a proper shower or wearing shoes on both feet.
- I am glad that I have a place that I can call my home. My royal home. Every day I smile and thank God for being my provider. I thank Him for turning my prayer requests into realities. #ForeverGrateful
- I am glad that I opened my heart to love. I brought down my walls and opened my arms and heart to experience all the emotions that love has to offer. I have experienced, true happiness, joy, sadness and hurt. For these, I am glad that I am capable of love and to be loved.
- I am glad that experience has taught me the difference between seasonal friends and permanent friends. I appreciate the fact that this is a natural phenomenon that I have no control over. I do not let go of friends in pain or bitterness, I let go with understanding and acceptance.
- I am glad that my cousin came to Kenya for a month and stayed with me. It has been a remarkable time that crowned my 2017. She is a loving and giving human being. God bless your 2018 Elayne. XOXO
- I am glad for my mother. Our relationship keeps improving over and over. I am glad that she always has my back and is very supportive of me. It is my life’s ambition to make her proud.
- I am glad that I have a family that is well united. In spite of our busy schedules and distance, we have technology to unite us. We have our ways of showing love which is a blessing. #WangalwasRock
- I am glad that I understand myself a little bit better than I did in 2016. I know what I stand for. What I love. What makes me tick. What gives me joy. In 2018, I intend to be more assertive and sure of my beliefs a little bit more – especially because I am the kind of person who condemns stealing but would probably steal to feed a starving kid (the end justifies the means).
- I am glad that my confidence level has grown. I am more comfortable in my own skin. I keep appreciating me more and more in spite of what society or the noises in my head say. #PerferctImperfections
- I am glad that through other people’s eyes, I get to understand my character more. I love what I hear and I do not intend to change to conform to society’s standards.
- I am glad that my blog is still active. I have managed to write and share my thoughts which most times get positive feedback. I intend to keep growing. To keep writing. To keep having an outlet to express myself and hopefully inspire at least one person. Please show a girl some love come 2018. Okay?
- I am glad that I have stuck to my target of reading at least one book per month. I even opened up my mind to e-books! Next year, the target is two books a month. One e-book and one hard book. Better keep the bookshelf growing.
- On the subject of books, I am currently reading Think Like a Man, Act Like a Lady by Steve Harvey. I am glad that I left all my prejudices aside and decided to read it. This book is making me understand the man’s mind and will hopefully help me in my love life. I HIGHLY recommend it to all ladies. (DM if you need an e-version)
- I am also glad that I read Rupi Kaur’s book Milk and Honey which helped me overcome some tough situations I was experiencing. Again, I highly recommend it to ladies out there. (a link to my thoughts on this book HERE )
- I am glad that I have gone to the gym for two months. My weight hasn’t changed but other crucial elements like muscle, fat, strength and stamina have improved. This is progress.
- I am glad that I have been deliberate in creating bonds with people who I believe add value to my life. It is my hope that as I gain from them, they gain from me.
- I am glad that I got the pleasure to celebrate people’s great moments and achievements – engagements, weddings, baby births, promotions, resignations, break ups. It is a joy to give and to be present for others.
- I am glad that my personality gives me the ability to socialize with others when need be. No man is an island.
- I am glad that I know how to be alone and not be lonely. I am good company.
- I am glad that my optimistic nature has enabled me overcome downfalls and move on with life. I see the good side of things leaving my heart at peace. #OptimistOfLife
- I am glad that as 2017 ends and 2018 begins I still have a job that I love doing. I have achieved things I never imagined. I have grown and become a better working lady. I pray that 2018 will see me sore greater heights in my career.
- I am glad for 4 people who I know left their work place to follow their dreams this year. This is a reminder that there is a whole wide world outside my comfort zone. There is more to life than living to earn a dollar(s) at the end of the day.
- I am glad that I have been able to do some side jobs that have added to my income. I believe that all my writing and more is not in vain. There is something out there that I can do to earn a living. 2018 I shall explore and achieve (ps. slide into my DM if you have a proposal for me)
- I am glad that 2017 has ended peacefully. That the elections did not cause extreme chaos. That our economy is still intact. That my home Kenya is at peace.
- I am glad that God gave me a year to experience His wonders and goodness. He has graced me with yet another year to live life and slay while at it. Imela papa. I am forever grateful. 2018 will see me seize every moment without wasting a single second.
- I am glad that you dear reader has read this blog post and others. Thank you for your support throughout the year.
May 2018 bring you blessings and love.
It’s that Simple.